Police Release Initial Report in AJ Freund Case

CRYSTAL LAKE, IL — Andrew Freund Sr. showed little emotion as he spoke with police officers in the minutes after he reported his 5-year-old son missing on April 18, according to the initial police report filed by the Crystal Lake Police Department regarding their call to AJ Freund’s home that day. That morning, Andrew Freund called police to report his son was missing. One of the first officers to respond to the home noted that Freund, 60, seemed very calm during his interaction with him while Cunningham, 36, was crying, frantic and “having scattered thoughts,” according to the police report.

The police report was provided to Patch as part of a Freedom of Information Act request. Additional information is not being released at this time as the case remains open and under investigation, authorities said.

Many of the details in the report have already been widely reported in the media. Police responded around 9 a.m. on April 18 for a report of a missing juvenile. Freund told police AJ was last seen the night before and he noticed him missing at about 8:15 a.m. on April 18 after he got back from a doctor’s appointment, according to the police report.

When asked by officers to produce a picture of AJ, Andrew Freund could not find one on his phone, and he seemed confused over his son’s eye color. JoAnn was able to provide a picture and said his eyes were brown, according to the police report.

The initial police report also provides some new information regarding the condition of AJ’s room. There was a sliding lock and chain on the outside of the door, which Andrew Freund told police was used to lock their 5-year-old in during the overnight hours, according to the police report.

Inside the room was an “unkempt converted crib/toddler bed,” which was AJ’s bed, and the police officer noticed mouse droppings along the bed sheets. Mouse excrement could also be found on the floor of AJ’s bedroom and throughout the house, according to the police report.

The rest of the house was very “messy and cluttered.” Half of the kitchen flooring was missing, exposing the bare floor board underneath; and the basement was cluttered with garbage bags pilled one on top of the other.

“I moved various garbage bags in search for AJ, but only noticed cockroaches scattering away,” Officer Brian Harvat writes in his narrative.

During their visit to the house, officers noted Cunningham received a call from her boyfriend, whose name was redacted in the report. The boyfriend was incarcerated, police said.

“JoAnn had her phone on speaker and I heard (the boyfriend) ask her if she found AJ yet though she never said he was lost while I was present at the house,” Harvat writes.

In the days following that initial call to 94 Dole Avenue police and community members searched for AJ. Almost a week later, Andrew Freund Sr. allegedly told authorities his son was placed in a cold shower after he lied about soiled underwear. A court affidavit states he was put to bed “cold, wet and naked.” Cunningham got up to check on him and then got Andrew Freund Sr. She allegedly used his phone to search for “child CPR,” the Chicago Tribune reports.

Andrew Freund is accused of burying his son in a shallow grave near Woodstock, where his body was later recovered. The boy died of severe head trauma, authorities said.

The narrative provided by Harvat in the initial police report provided by Crystal Lake Police can be found below:


Click Here: Golf special

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *