A British man who had been in Australia for less than 24 hours has been charged for an alleged violent assault near Bondi Beach in Sydney.
Click Here: NRL Telstra Premiership
Police have yet to name the 35-year old Brit who approached, assaulted and threatened a 59-year-old man in the early hours of Saturday.
The victim attempted to run away New South Wales Police have said but the man continued to assault him, even stealing his mobile phone.
A pedestrian altered police to the incident which took place around 1.30am on Campbell Parade.
The victim was treated at the scene by NSW Ambulance Paramedics and taken to St Vincent’s Hospital and in a serious but stable condition.
The British man was charged with aggravated robbery with wounding and grievous bodily harm and was refused bail.
He is due in court in Parramatta, in the west of Sydney, on Saturday.
“Our staff are supporting a British man following his detention in Australia,” said a spokesperson for the Foreign & Commonwealth Office.